Monday 9 May 2016

Vive Le Rock and Hawkwind



A few Hawkwind bits and pieces of note... I was going to write up their Islington Academy gig from the enthusiastically received The Machine Stops tour, being the only show that I got along to from this set of gigs, but that was a couple of weeks ago and there's been a lot of very positive reviews appearing across the Internet and in print, so I'll just say that I enjoyed it immensely and concur with others who are marvelling at the job done by new bassist Haz Wheaton.

Instead I'll mention that Vive Le Rock's latest issue, with its multiple covers featuring The Damned in support of Dick Porter's excellent history of their 40 years - including I'm impressed to say, an interview with Dave Vanian who is usually more illusive than the Scarlet Pimpernel himself - also has a six page feature from myself on Hawkwind, based on an interview at rehearsals for Hawkeaster a couple of months back. Dave Brock, Dibs, Richard Chadwick, Niall Hone and Haz Wheaton all appear in this one, a mix of the present and the legacy, a piece that I'm quite proud of and all wrapped up with a glorious live photograph from Oz Hardwick, as seen in the snapshot above. In shops now.

Other Hawk stuff: I interviewed Dave towards the end of last year for the website Louder Than War, and his choices for his Top 10 favourite(ish) albums can be found here. Meanwhile, over at Record Collector's website they currently have my review of The Machine Stops. And finally, a mention for Jason Heller's excellent Hawkwind article in the SF magazine Clarkesworld, which I really enjoyed and was most chuffed to find mentioning Sonic Assassins on a few instances.


No comments: